Friday, May 27, 2005

alien species

Working in Japan requires that one must register as an alien. Anytime you change address you must update your details at the local ward office. At first I thought it was a way for the cops to round up a few gaijin anytime they needed to raise revenue or have a laugh.

I just moved in to a different apartment last weekend and needed to update the details on my alien registration card. My Japanese language is still terrible, but luckily for me, many of the staff at the ward offices seem to know enough English to do the job. I swear he first asked me in Japanese though, "Which UFO did you arrive from?" At least that's what it sounded like...

After a few minutes he scribbled something on the back of my card and it was all over. Back to cycling by the riverside...

No comments: