Sunday, March 13, 2005

Smells like chicken...

Did I mention that crossing cultures was never going to be easy to understand? Even the simple things in life can seem completely backward, upside-down, inside-out, and still nothing close. Today, let's tackle the fundamental topic of food. Of course it is always interesting and I always want it, hence a favourite topic.

So what can possibly go wrong when 2 friends walk the whole 140 metres from the front door to the Matsumoto Japanese Restaurant for dinner? Crossing Lygon Street is always full of danger, but a manageable risk. One might be confused at why chop sticks are called such when they are near useless for cutting the final spring roll to share. (Just like Tim-Tam's, they always serve an odd number of them!)

In my best attempt at the pronunciation, I ordered Tonkatsu, and somehow I knew I would enjoy a dish I've never tried before. Upon receiving my meal, we both were left guessing what type the meat was! It looked like a crumbed fish fillet, but there was definitely no fishy texture nor aroma. Upon further examination we both concluded that it must be chicken... A delicious BBQ sauce, salad and rice all went down well. Certainly no complaints from the taste buds and when your friend pays out the bill, I'm convinced of a winning evening.

Slightly embarrassing, but the meat was in fact pork. I guess the point is, you don't need to understand everything to enjoy it... Or something like that.

Okay, there's no confusion on this matter: It's Mount Fuji!
That volcanic cone... More on this in a later post.

I tried a Google search for Matsumoto in attempt to learn of the name's origins or history. Again more stumbling and confusion of how bikini clad women standing around touring car championships has anything to do with my search. Is my internet broken? What do you get when you search for Matsumoto?

1 comment:

Vernon said...

Not from a search for Matsumoto, but a random stumbling from BBC news website, I found this:

Researchers from the Shinsu University School of Medicine in Matsumoto looked at a group of climbers who had all suffered from some form of Hape.

Read about the Gene for altitude illness before you plan any Fuji-san or Mount Everest ascents!